Saturday, December 20, 2008

Caramels

My sister in law Melissa has this simple recipe, tried it... loved it.

1 cube margarine
1 cube butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup Eagle Brand Milk

Microwave margarine and butter until melted. Add remaining ingredients. Cook in microwave 15 minutes, stirring 4 times (at 12, 9, 6, and 3 minutes remaining). I test the caramels when there is about 2 minutes remaining, run a small spoonfull under cold water and see if it is hard enough, if not cook remaining 2 minutes. Every microwave cooks different, so just keep an eye on them.

Good tip: I use a very large microwavable glass dish, because they do boil, and if your glass dish isn't large enough you will have a big mess. I use the Pampered Chef glass measuring dish, that is 8 cups. That works really well.

Enjoy! Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

AnniKae said...

Thanks for posting this recipe. My sister has been looking for a Caramel recipe like this one. I'll have to let her know.